Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

The day that every mother has circled on her calendar in red. Maybe there's hearts on it too. Or fireworks? THE DAY THE KIDS GO BACK TO SCHOOL!!!

Yes, its finally here. My first is off at just before 6am. Then the second is picked up at about 8:30. But they've been looking forward to it too.

Well, my sister and brother are in for a visit starting today. I love my siblings (yes, I really do), but I sure do get an inferiority complex around them. Okay, the scoop. My sister (I'm the baby btw) lives out in Idaho, on the Wyoming border. She has spent the last oh, say 10-12 years fighting forest fires. Most of those years as a smokejumper-one of those crazies who jump out of planes into the fires. Now she's slowed down. She either leads teams in on foot or she investigates fires and she also gives talks at schools with her Smoky The Bear stuff. How cool is this? The smoke jumping part, that is? A few years ago there was a special on 9/11, about 2 film makers who were following some members of a FDNY firehouse with a camera and they happened to be on hand and get on tape the attack on the WTCs. Well, during the show instead of commercial breaks they showed photos of emts, firefighters, police etc all around the country. My sister had her picture displayed, just her by herself. I couldn't be prouder of anyone if I tried.

Okay, then there's my brother. He's always known exactly what he's wanted to do. Be an airline pilot. He spent 12 years in the Air Force, including Desert Storm where he flew fuel tankers, and now he's a pilot with American Airlines. He's very career oriented, very stable, and he's got it together in a way that I envy! I don't think he's ever screwed up.

Then there's me. Still struggling with what I want to be "when I grow up" Okay, I've always wanted to be a writer and I'm working towards that, but it took me a hell of a long time to get there.... my finances are in a constant mess, living from paycheck to paycheck... barely... I have wonderful kids and I love my family dearly but they drive me bonkers sometimes. There are times when I just want to be a hermit. And, I'm nearly 40 years old and I'm working as a customer service rep... the lowest of the low in many eyes.

Yeah, yeah, I know... I'm not being fair to myself. I'd just like to have ONE major accomplishment in my life (not including my 3 gorgeous kids), would like to have ONE story published so people can say, "wow! she's going to make it!"

Pity Party is now over.... everyone go home! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home