Wednesday, June 07, 2006

So Thaaats why!

I've been looking over 3 wips I have in storage now that WORL editing is done. I really like both stories, but now, looking over it, I know why I put them aside.

Siren Song-I think it would be a great Blaze, but maybe its a little too steamy right out of the gate. I mean, my hero and heroine have sex within the first few pages, and they're basically strangers, its just a one night stand. Now that may not be such a problem, but there head hopping definitely is a problem. It was like I was writing on a pogo stick there was so much hopping. So I think that, while the storyline is workable, I have to scrap the whole beginning, sex scene included (though I'll put that in a folder and save for another part of the story-it is quite good. One large problem I'm facing is that my hero is a lawyer in Washington DC. I don't know enough about DC. I guess I can work around it, but its going to take some research. I'm definitely taking the story up to a NH setting at some point though.

Going Going Gone-I love this storyline too, and I think I have a really strong beginning, but then it just sort of flattens on me and I'm not sure how to revive it. I've got to throw some other things at my hero/heroine if I'm going to stretch it to 70k. I can see the required 57k for a Desire, but my hero isn't a Desire type, he's a small town fire chief/woodworker.

The Staying Kind (I don't know if I'd keep the title with this story-but I just love it)-this could be some kind of mystery/crime somethingorother. Got the wounded heroine trying to hide away from the world after her daughter is killed and her high society husband takes off with their baby because he's convinced her that she's an unfit mother. My hero is a small town guy with a daughter who is intrigued by the heroine. It's all about the heroine opening herself up to the hero and his daughter. And getting her other child back. the other child isn't written in stone.

All this leads to the question... why are my heros nearly always small town regular guys? With the exception of a very few, I stick to Mr. Niceguy, big fish in a little pond kind of man. I guess that's the type I'm attracted to so its who I prefer to write about.

Okay, time to stop pondering and time to get ready for work.

1 Comments:

At 3:51 AM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said...

I think it would be hard to revisit old stories after too much time away... I haven't tried it yet. I may never. I lose enthusiasm if I wait too long!

Flash Fiction is even shorter, typically, than "short" fiction. Flashshot is 100 words or less (they aren't the ones who rejected me). Many others are 250 - 500 words. The story I subbed was just under 500 words.

But, then, I do tend to write what the literary types consider "fluff". There was no moral to the story. It was lighthearted and funny. "Deep" stuff is seldom any of that... which is why I don't enjoy reading "deep" stuff!

It really didn't hurt my feelings, I just figured that I should have known better. Live and learn.

wbsusw - what bears seldom use: sodden wasabi (no, makes no sense)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home