Friday, May 26, 2006

Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures

I think I need to hire a professional organizer. I need to have someone come into my home. I'd have to leave, take the husband and kids with me, and have this organizer just go through my place, top to bottom and get rid of things. I'm sure there's about 80% of my stuff I'd never miss. And about 90% of my kids stuff that they'd never miss.

So, the question is, knowing this, why is it so difficult to throw this stuff away myself? Is it sentimentality? Is it the fact when I'm cleaning out the kids toy closet that they beg and plead with me to keep something they haven't seen in about 2 years. I just need someone else to go through this. I think its along the same lines of ripping off a bandaid. For some reason I can't do it myself, unless I do it the slow, torturous way.... it still hurts, it probably hurts more, but I just can't make myself take it off quickly. I just can't make myself throw things out (I'm talking about books that no one is going to read, old clothes, old dishes-stuff). Case in point.. I have a spice rack, with no spices in it. Its in good shape but I'm never going to use it. yet it still sits in my kitchen. Why? I don't know. I hate to throw it away.

Okay, so now you know one of my secrets (that wouldn't be a secret if you saw my house). I'm a pack rat of massive porportions. And so are my kids.

So I think I'm going to have to go with that professional organizer.

3 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said...

The rule in this house is "if you can't find a home for it, you can't keep it" and stuffing it under the bed or in the closet doesn't count.

My husband is a neat freak. I used to be a pack rat. Not any more. I'm cured.

It's tough unless you have someone nagging or heaving sighs around you constantly. Hey - maybe that's what you need. Not an organizer, a nagger!

hgyjs - hardy gladiolus yet just sucky (that makes absolutely no sense, but I've been digging ditches all morning and I'm a little delirious)

 
At 3:03 AM, Blogger MomJane said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:06 AM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said...

Okay... so I was watching "Barkatecture" on the DIY channel and saw a commercial for a new show called "The Worlds Worst Packrat". They want pictures of your house and if you qualify, they'll send in professional organizers to fix you up.

Do you qualify?? I think you can go to their website and see about the contest. I thought of you and this post when I saw the commercial.

sodjnhn - silent octupus doesn't jive, no he nods.

Oops, messed up. Let's try again.

urnytfih - urinals reek, never yearn to find ink here (nope, doesn't make sense... but where do they get these letters?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home