Thursday, July 27, 2006

Character Occupations

I'm trying to figure out just what my hero in my (latest-sort of) wip does for a living. Currently he's a fifth grade teacher. Hey, my heros are usually regular joes. I tossed around the idea of making him a cop. But I already have a cop in my last manuscript. Then I got to thinking... is it alright to go with the same occupation for my characters? I tend to go with artists a lot. My heroine in Sweet Forever is an artist and innkeeper. My hero in Storm Within (my novella) is an artist. In my current wip (tentatively titled The Staying Kind) the heroine is, yah, you guessed it... an artist. My heros have been fireman and a cop (I looooove a man in uniform *drool*), a rancher and a lawyer/senator to be. So a fifth grade teacher would be okay, but I'd like for him to be in a position to help her with her problems, which include trying to find out if her husband and daughter actually did die in a boating accident two years previous.

Okay, time to get ready for work. I'll mull this around and try to come up with some conclusion.

3 Comments:

At 5:24 AM, Blogger Judy said...

What if...... he used to be a PI or cop or something, but because of something horrible that happened to him (he accidentally shot a kid, for example) he got out of the copping business and wanted to "give back" to the kids... thus becoming a teacher. Just an idea.

Pam is good at brainstorming solutions to problems. She helped me with a HUGE one I had in Fiona.

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said...

Um... you might want to get over that artist thing... are they at least different kinds of artists? Like one paints and one sculpts? You could make one a cook. That's art. Sort of.

I don't typically repeat occupations. I have a vet tech, a spa owner, a housekeeper, and a waitress as heroines in my current WIPs.

Heroes are: architect, car mechanic, software developer and a sheriff.

Guess I'm doing okay.

Hope you're hanging in there. We're melting up here!

armdw - aren't rabid merecats dusting wildly?

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Crystal* said...

Judy's idea crossed my mind. Or he could have a close relative that's into PI work.
Could be a researcher on the side.
Could be a guy with a previously unknown of shady past. *wriggling eyebrows*
Good luck!
Grins*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home