Monday, October 16, 2006

Writing Sequels

My writing group has been sharing ideas we have for the upcoming Nano challenge. I gave a brief blurb about my story and have been getting lots of support. Then I got an email that made me slam on my brakes. My writing buddy commented about how people really liked sequels ESPECIALLY IF THEY REALLY LIKE THE FIRST BOOK.

Well, the first book hasn't even been released yet, so how the heck do I know if people like it. What if it tanks? Who's going to buy a sequel to a book of they hate the first one?

I really don't want to waste a month of writing on something that may never be a viable product. I think it'll be a good story, but not if the base crumbles.

So, I'm basically going back to my big bag of ideas to see if I have any others in there that I can do instead of this one. This one can keep until next year after Finally Home has been on the market for awhile.

Well, I'd rather figure this out now instead of on November 4th.

2 Comments:

At 3:21 AM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said...

I don't know if that's necessarily a reason to quit on this story. Can it stand alone? Is it reliant on the other story to make sense? If not, then write it. If it just loosely refers to some of the people in the other book then it's not exactly a sequel (I think of Jude Deveraux's Montgomery and Taggart books -- they're richer together, but they stand apart).

That's my .02 -- the decision, of course, is up to you.

gkpaj = Get Katie packing another jar.

 
At 4:14 AM, Blogger Ceri Hebert said...

I think it relies on the other story too much. My heroine is working for the hero and heroine from the first story, she was hired by the original heroine's mother as a peace offering of sorts from a fallout in the first story, so I think there's too much from the first to make this one work as a stand alone.

Its okay, I'm going to hang onto everything I've come up with for it so far. Who knows, maybe I can change things around enough to use it as a stand alone if Finally Home tanks.

for now, though, I think I'd rather go in another direction.

Thanks for the .02. :) And thanks for the info on Wild Rose Press. I'll definitely consider them, they've got the right word count for what I have. (yah, an erotic, though actually I could cut out that part now and turn it into something else since I'm not really aiming it for Torrid now)

uoxrx-Using oxygen xrays righteous xylaphones (oh, come on, it wasn't much to work with).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home