Monday, February 05, 2007

Deleting Words

I've been busy with edits on Sweet Forever for the past 2 days now. The first thing I've started doing is deleting "garbage" words. Boy, I think I must have deleted 200 'just's from this story, and maybe about 100 'so's and many many 'that' 'then' and 'really's.

But in doing so I've come to realize that for everyone that I can delete with no regret at all, there are two that I just can't bare to part with. I mean, these words were created for a reason, weren't they? Don't they have ANY place within our manuscripts? I find that I just can't part with all of them. I hope my editor will be kind with me when she sees them laced throughout the story.

I have so much more to go, but its getting late and my concentration and common sense went to bed about 15 minutes ago. I guess I'll just finish going through my "could"s and call it a night.

1 Comments:

At 2:09 AM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said...

I can sympathize! I make a point of running a "find" on all my stuff now before submitting using: that, ing, was/were, and/but and just.

It's scary what I find when I do that. Wonder when I'll stop putting that stuff in automatically? You'd think it would be on my brain...

Good luck!

ugoop - Ugly guys only oogle puppies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home