Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The POV thing

I'm ready to start giving up on breaking up scenes for the POV thing. I've been trying to put astriks between the changes in POV but that is beginning to look awkward and I think it chops things up more than it has to. I really really try not to head hop and I think I do a pretty good job of it, but there are times, like with my current wip that I find myself going from one head to another a little too frequently. I honestly don't think it's confusing, but it wouldn't be for me, now would it.

My instincts tell me to just go with what is naturally flowing and worry about it later. If others think that it needs to be fixed than I can fix it. But I don't want to stunt my baby's growth right now.

So I'm going to pull a Nora and write the way the story is coming to me and be damned if its not right.

hehehe.

At least I'm writing.

3 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger Judy said...

I think you're doing the right thing. Too much internal editing can definitely mess us up. The important thing is that you ARE writing. Now, just to follow my own advice :-)

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said...

Though I partly agree with Judy, I also think that, once you're in the habit of NOT head hopping, it's easy to not do it. I don't have to think about it any more, it just works that way.

My ultimate goal is to get published. Preferably by a well known print publisher. And they won't accept ms's with head hopping, unless you ARE Nora.

And I'm not Nora.

I'd suggest, at least when you edit, going back and sticking to one POV per scene. But then, that's just me. Clearly, we all have an opinion! LOL...

vwieedhr (YAY! NO "Q" or "Z") - Very weird Icelandic elephants eat dried hay rarely

 
At 4:02 AM, Blogger Ceri Hebert said...

Thanks for the comments, ladies. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this. The head hopping in the original is more than I thought. I may have to rip up the whole thing and redo it. I think its confined to just the beginning of the story, but I'll have to go through and figure it out.

gfmeevmb-giant flowers make everyone edgy verifying my beliefs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home